Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meet Kid Sis

You may have noticed that I often refer to "we" when I write about things going on here. I do work with a team of 12 other Americans, but the vast majority of my time here is spent with Amber. She is my roomate/teammate/friend/kid sis/partner in crime and just all around great girl =) One of the first things you'll notice if you spend any amount of time around Amber is that she definitely has an ornery side and you know you're loved when she feels comfortable enough to let that orneriness loose! I caught some photos of Amber's favorites in action, although as a disclaimer I must first mention that these photos are dramatic reenactments. No Team Northeast Poland team members were harmed during the process.



#1-The Seatbelt Tug-If you are ever sitting in front of Amber in one of our team's big white VW vans, fully expect her to pull on the seatbelt. As you can see, Patsy is the recepient here and Amber seems to be quite enjoying herself.
#2--The Bathroom Light Switch--I have to say, in all honesty, one of the strangest things about Polish life is the fact that the light switches for the bathrooms are almost always outside of the bathroom. It didn't take long for Amber to realize what fun this could be. This trick has become an Amber Trademark and has spread throughout our team, even to the kids! (I will add that Amber always turns the light back on, but that is unfortunately not always the case when the kids do it!) I think it's her personal favorite and, for the record, she does not discriminate: men, women, children, Americans, Poles, family, friends, guests, Americans, Poles, young, old...all are fair game.

#3--The Croc Kick--As far as I know, I'm the only one on the team who's experienced this one. This action shot was taken from my desk chair and Amber is standing in the doorway to her bedroom. I've had to take cover many a times from flying Crocs.
#4--The Shoulder Tap--Ok, as I said before, all of these pictures are dramatic reenactments. But, sadly, this picture is often pretty close to reality. I've lived with Kid Sis for almost 16 months, yet I still fall for this waaaayyyyy too often. It's one of the originals and, again, a classic Amber Trademark which has been passed on to other team members. Would you believe that Patsy got me with this one just this past Sunday at church!? At church for crying out loud!!
I hope you enjoyed catching a glimpse of some of Amber's favorite moves. All joking aside, I really am so thankful and so blessed to be here with her. I really don't know what I would have done here living by myself. Our teammates sometimes call her my "Kid Sis", but she really does feel like a sister. It's not always easy living here (or anywhere in America, for that matter!), but it helps so much to have someone here to go through this experience with. She's always got a listening ear, a smile or laugh to cheer, CNN updates to share, a song to sing, perspective to share, an eagerness to help out in any way, and that human GPS thing going on! I'd still be wandering the streets of Olsztyn trying to find my way home if I were on my own! We have spent much time talking, crying, thinking, planning, praying, and LOTS of time laughing. Like I said, I'm so thankful the Lord knew what we would both need in sending us somewhere where we'd be together. He is aware of our needs and, just like a good Father, faithfully provides. He even knew I'd need a friend with some orneriness to keep me laughing. =)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That's our Amber. She has gotten me many a time too. I have been doubly blessed in Poland to have been able to come here with the two of you and share life with you on this side of the world. You are both great and have, even at my age, taught me a lot about life. That it is okay to be real and to have a lot of fun. I would not take anything for getting you with the shoulder tap Sunday. Yes even in church!

Love you,
Patsy

Anonymous said...

Even though I know it wouldn't happen it sounds like you've found a replacement for Brandi and I? Do we have to come in the cover of darkness to take you back? LOL!!!!!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Are you sure Amber doesn't have some Gordon blood? (Have you tried the, "What's that on your shirt?" routine on her yet?) I may have to check out her blog for any rebuttal. It's certainly a blessing how well you 2 get along, since you're often together literally 24/7. "Hey!" to Amber and "I love you" to you!

Anonymous said...

okay...first of all might i say i loved the depictions of the "amber" pranks. i have fallen victim to many of them numerous times. but here is the deal...you have got to dish them back out...that is the only way.
the one and only tip i have for you, and i think i have shared this little insight before, collerbone...go for the collerbone!!!

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from amanda. i didn't get it in there.

Anonymous said...

friends and laughter ... priceless!
... at any age :) Aunt Barb

Anonymous said...

goofing off and castle sightseeing--what kind of gig is this? are you sure the board is getting their $2.20 per hour out of you?
you need to come to Lorain ohio and do some serious work! we have a
castle and it has a mexican restaurant inside too! I like the light thing though---that would make for lots of fun. What is up with that? Do the newer places have the switches on the outside also?

Anonymous said...

God is so good. He always provides what we need. I am so glad he gave you Amber--and gave you to Amber too. Aunt Jenni