Friday, May 25, 2007

More Hot Fun in the Summertime


Ok, so some of you already read this post in its former life as the top ten list. I decided to change it, for a little twist, and instead list the top ten things I love about "almost summer" in Poland. So, again, without further ado...drum roll Paul...
10) sandal tan lines (one of these days I'll put a picture of Amber's on here...she's got some great tan lines on her feet!)
9) running outside on really hot, humid days...it really feels like you did something!
8) eating outside--most of the restaurants in town put out tables and umbrellas and I love it! It's so pretty, too.
7) the occasional afternoon thunderstorms; they don't happen often, but when they do I like it--I can't say I love it because I still have some remaining phobias stemming from many storms spent in the trailer
6) that the sun doesn't set until almost 10!
5) late evening walks with Amber to pray
4) the smell of the flowering trees and fresh cut grass
3) ICE CREAM!!!! ("I smell ice cream"---any takers on the movie this is from???)
2) the fresh fruits and vegetables available
1) sleeping with the windows open! (until a moth flies in and makes a bee-line for your face!)


So, there you go. This are some of the things I am loving about Polish "almost summer" (I can't bring myself to actually call it summer, because the "realist" in me knows it will get cool again!)According to our language teacher, it's supposed to be the hottest summer in 100 years. I say...bring it on!

I think this "spirited" little girl is ready for summer too! She also says "bring it on!"













On a slightly more serious note, we went to a local village on Wednesday with Sean and Bryan and a pastor named Marcin. Marcin has been working with some children each week at an after-

school program and meets with several adults for a Bible study every Wednesday. We got to go out and help with the kids and be a part of the Bible study and it was wonderful. It was a much needed breath of fresh air...literally. It was so nice to get out of the city and see the countryside. And the kids were great. We're going to do an evening camp for the kids at the end of June with a volunteer team coming from Virginia. Please pray for these kids, that the Lord would open their hearts and they'd be drawn to know Him and trust Him.



(Marcin was telling the story of Noah and brought out the Super Soaker. The kids had a great time!)

7 comments:

Amy Covey said...

Cheap sunglasses and ice cream in the morning...yet more reasons why I need to take a trip to Poland. Plus, just think of all the photos I could take of the stylish people you just described (blue socks and sandals, shirts unbuttoned, non-existant clothing, etc). Enjoy the heat...and stay cool.

Anonymous said...

What happened to spring, as usual? I won't show this one to Dad, in fear he'll want to strap on the sandals over his sox! Off to Bubbie's wedding tomorrow. Hard to believe. I'll take pix to share. xoxo

Jill said...

I wanted to know if the old men that wear the sandals with socks are the same ones with their shirts open and man capris??? That's quite a visual I came up with. Sounds warmer there than in TX... we've been in the 70s/80s with tons of rain, not the usual 90s and dry!

kojava said...

I used to mock the man-pris... then I bought some. The shirt is definitely staying buttoned though!

~Lori said...

Man Capris?! Really?
I'm trying to read the entire post, but I just keep thinking about man capris.
Really?!? I don't think that fashion has made it over here yet. But hey- I should buy some for Joe so he'll be prepared for Switzerland. But there, I bet they have to wear them with suspenders and knee socks, and a funny hat with a feather...and one of those Ricola horn thingies......

Anonymous said...

Too easy, but maybe that's because I'm used to saying it. I'll let someone else have the honor of naming the movie. I've been sogood, I haven't had any ice cream in "For ever...forever..." I'm due.

Anonymous said...

After catching up on your blog entries, I am still floored that you met someone from Fo-town Ohio...Fostoria is a rough little town, so if you stick with that kid you'll be safe! Sounds like time is making you appreciate the little things and I'm glad to hear someone not refer to the end of the year countdown, unlike my husband! Only 17 more days until vacation, we are going to Hilton Head this year with Matt & Kristin. Oh I'll email you a picture of Lynds's baby...Colton Robert Hulen, so cute! Have a good week!